Sunday, March 4, 2018

WILLOWS AND BASKETS AT PORT ARTHUR

Basket-making was a staple activity amongst the convict population at Port Arthur. There is always at least one convict listed as a basket, mat or broom maker in pretty much every labour return. 
As for willows, well, I am unsure about that. I have not seen it mentioned in any of the returns we have collated. There is one mention in 1839 of 'rushes', which might fulfil the same purpose. Judging by the detail of the returns we do have, I would expect willows/rushes to be enumerated if they are being harvested for use. 
Then again, if there were willows here (and I think there is one illustration which shows some in Government Gardens) then I would expect they would have been used for such purposes. 
[PERS COM Richard Tuffin] 
Research Fellow, School of Humanities, University of New England, Armidale, NSW, 2351

No comments:

Post a Comment